Buy Sev's Latest Book

Be sure to buy my latest e-book at Amazon! Dark Matters

Saturday, February 02, 2013

Happy Birthday Ayn Rand

 Today is the birthday of one of the most influential persons in my life.  I can't speak for anyone else, but Ayn Rand helped me identify myself.  I read her book Atlas Shrugged, for the first time, when I was 16 and suddenly realized that I was not a freak of nature, but others out there thought much the same as I do.  That is a huge deal when you're a teenager and happens very infrequently.  Today's teens are much more likely to identify with the whiney Gatsby or Holden Caulfield than they are a rugged individualist like John Galt or Hank Reardon.

Also, my paternal grandmother and Ayn Rand shared the same birthday.  Two people further apart in lifestyle and outlook cannot be found.  I loved my grandmother and admire Ayn Rand.

To celebrate the life of Ayn Rand, do something that makes you happy today.  If your happiness does not infringe on the happiness of others, enjoy the hell out of it.  If it does infringe on the happiness of others, stop being a Liberal and try to understand the unfettered joy of just being and living.

No comments: