Buy Sev's Latest Book

Be sure to buy my latest e-book at Amazon! Dark Matters

Sunday, November 04, 2012

When Facebook Attacks

Early this morning I got up, made coffee and sat down to my laptop to look up cute kitten pictures on the intarweb and logged into Facebook, as you do, to find kitten links when BAM!  POW!  My router was knocked offline. 

Hmmmmm.  It took me a couple of tries to realized it was only when I logged into Facebook from my laptop and ONLY my laptop.  I disconnected the network card, did a deep virus scan, found nothing, absolutely nothing that would indicated some sort of virus or malware.  I then patiently waited for my husband to wake up because I'd forgotten the admin password to our wireless router.  So I pulled out my Kindle and continued reading my paranormal mystery until the spousal unit roused himself and grabbed some coffee.

Once we began running a diagnostics on our entire system (because that's what we nerds do, to find out which direction to go haring off into) we found it was just my laptop and only when I attempted to log into Facebook.  Off to the router logs!

This is what we found... to quote Gomer Pyle, "Surprise, surprise surprise!"

[DoS attack: FIN Scan] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [31.13.66.26], Sunday, Nov 04,2012 08:06:10
[DoS attack: FIN Scan] attack packet
s in last 20 sec from ip [69.171.229.16], Sunday, Nov 04,2012 08:06:05
Hmmm, I wonder who belongs to those IP addresses?  Hello?  Whois?

inetnum: 31.13.64.0 - 31.13.127.255
netname: IE-FACEBOOK-20110418
descr: Facebook Ireland Ltd
organisation: ORG-FIL7-RIPE
org-name: Facebook Ireland Ltd
org-type: LIR
address: Facebook Ireland Ltd
Hanover Reach, 5-7 Hanover Quay
2 Dublin
Ireland

NetRange: 69.171.224.0 - 69.171.255.255
CIDR: 69.171.224.0/19
OrgName: Facebook, Inc.
OrgId: THEFA-3
Address: 1601 Willow Rd.
City: Menlo Park
StateProv: CA

What ho!  Those IP addresses belong to Facebook!  Well, imagine that.  Especially since I've been maligning their Immaculated one for lo these many years.

Don't appreciate it Facebook.  I don't enjoy the fact that you installed a cookie on my computer allowing a DOS attack on my router.  My system did not ping the cookies because I've told them that content from Facebook is safe.  I was obviously very, very wrong.

All of my life I have been pathologically afraid of spiders.  In the past months I have begun a program of desensitizing myself.  I find it unacceptable to have an irrational fear of something that is beneficial to my garden.  The sign in many aboriginal societies for patience is the spider.  I feel I may adopt that symbol as my own.  You can make book on my patience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So last night my daughter texts me and says my internet is not working it is really slow..
so I look at my router and find that it is connected to the inter net and working fine, so I look at my logs and what I find is DoS attack FIN Scan fom guess who "FACEBOOK" 66.171.248.65 there were several of them I found looking back thru my logs.
people need to DELETE THEIR FACEBOOK accounts and stop the crap.