Buy Sev's Latest Book

Be sure to buy my latest e-book at Amazon! Dark Matters

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Audeo

This weekend I got a tattoo. I've wanted to get one for years, couldn't ever decide on anything I wanted on my skin forever, so the idea got tabled.  A lot.  Finally, I decided on what I wanted and yesterday I went into a local tattoo parlor, Big Daddy's here in Waco, and I got exactly what I wanted.  The young tattoo artist, Mark, knew exactly what it was when I described it and came up with an idea I loved.






Now, first off, it is not misspelled.  I wasn't going for some random word.  Audeo means "I dare" in Latin.  Think of the word audacious.  Get it?  Secondly, and this is the most important part, this is not some mid-life crisis.  I've wanted to do this for a very long time.  But, when you are a responsible adult, or trying to be, you put things aside so you can do things like raise your kids, pay the mortgage and keep your pets in kibble.  However, once the kids are grown, you can do what YOU want.  So this explains the motorcycle and the new tattoo and a whole host of things I put off when I had kids in my 20's.

You see, most of us spend our entire lives living as other people expect us to live and not in a way which makes us happy and enriches OUR lives.  I mean this in the best possible way, but other people's expectations can get f$cked.  This is my life and I will live it according to the way I choose, so long as it doesn't harm another human being.  I am totally within my rights to do so and if you don't like it, too bad.  I refuse to live unhappy and in fear of everything around me because someone else might be unhappy. As long as I'm happy and I am not purchasing my happiness at the expense of another, so be it.  Audeo.  I dare to be happy and unafraid.  Deal with it.

As for the motorcycle, I will be finishing the Harley course in mid-May.  After that I will spend a lot of time tooling around the streets of my subdivision until I feel confident enough to ride out on the real roads with other people on them.  It's a work in progress and I intend to be smart about it.  Don't want to get injured any further doing something I've always dreamed of.

So for all of you out there who have dreams, live them now.  Don't wait for other people to sanction your happiness.  It's YOUR dream, YOU take ownership of it and OWN it.  Do you really want to get to the end of your life and realize you've lived up to everybody elses expectations of your life and not your own?  If you do, you cannot blame them, you can only blame yourself.  You chose to let them define the parameters of your life.  Make your own parameters, decide what is your dream and do it.  Even if it's just to go shopping by yourself or have a hunting weekend with your buddies.  Live the life you choose.  Just because someone else won't do it doesn't mean you can't.

Audeo

No comments: