Buy Sev's Latest Book

Be sure to buy my latest e-book at Amazon! Dark Matters

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

The Birthday Edition

My birthday was always a big deal in my family. My earliest memories are of picnics with the entire family in Boise's largest park, I think it was the Julia Davis Park, I'm sure my cousin will let me know if I got it wrong. Disneyland, parties, getting pianos, horses, things that took ages to plan.

My sister, whose birthday was at the beginning of March, was lucky if someone remembered to bake a cake. I always thought that sucked. When we were kids, I always felt bad that it was never convenient to have a big party for her. She had to get married and have her own family to get people who appreciated "her" day. I hope that they do it right. This past year we ate like stevedores at her house and laughed our asses off. It was my idea of a perfect day for me, I hope it was for her.

Birthdays are important for they are a reminder of our lives. I've never subscribed to the adage "another year older" but chose to think of it as "another year wiser". I don't look back on my life and think about all I haven't done. To be honest, My Bucket List is pretty short and if I don't completely check everything off, I've done the important things. To me this day is an affirmation of life. For everyone born after 1973 it certainly is a reminder that things could have gone a different way. So you really ARE lucky if you were even born.

Every year my husband asks me what I want for my birthday. I never can think of anything. I am very blessed to have been able to work and obtain the things through legal trade that I desire. My desire this year was to have the sunroom a bit cooler and comfortable as I am finishing up one book and beginning another and the laptop is not convenient to use for extended periods of writing. So he bought me a little $6 desk fan and you know what? It's perfect! He also allowed me to get a kitten as I was missing Rex so badly. The kitten is very cuddly and again, perfect.

I have friends who celebrate with me, if that is their wont. I am very lucky that they put up with me, for I am not an easy person to be around. Blunt honestly is not easy to deal with at the friendship level. I expect it from my friends and hope they accept it in me. The fact that I need to take off my shoes to count these friends overwhelms me at time.

Today I will take the kid to the dentist to have her teeth cleaned before she leaves for her internship (another fantastic blessing) and then come home and make a pot roast, because that's what I want to eat on my birthday. I may buy a cheesecake for myself. It's a tradition I don't wish to break at this point. I'll have a glass of Scotch and think about how blessed I am. I hesitate to say lucky, because I've worked for it, we have worked for it, together.

So all of YOU have a great day. That is MY birthday wish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All good things come from above. So, yes, you are blessed, not lucky.

Happy birthday!