Buy Sev's Latest Book

Be sure to buy my latest e-book at Amazon! Dark Matters

Thursday, August 06, 2020

Human Sunbeam

This evening I dropped into a live chat from a YouTube channel that I watch often. I would watch more but Ethan never shuts the fuck up. He can talk. Jesus, can he talk. But you know what? I adore him.

I've known Ethan since we were both drawing for Marvel Comics back in the mid-90s. Neither one of us was well known. He went on to fame while I lived a pretty normal life and wrote books. I hadn't spoken to him in the early Naughties, and I had a new last name, but did let on who he had known me as, and it was like those years never existed. I've never been on his show, because I cannot think of a reason that I should be and he's never asked. He asks people to appear to try to promote their self-published, crowd-funded comic books. He's encouraged me to do graphic novels of my Urban Fantasy series about Urban Paladins, but I'm too busy channeling my creative energy into words and paragraphs and stories.

I do alright.

I've been happy to see him show me some comics it's been a delight for me to buy. It feels like ordering the Phalanx event in X-Men. I look forward to Jon Malin's Graveyard Shift. Antonia Brice's Brand got to me and I'll admit, my heart rated sped up to the degree that I almost, kinda, in a way thought I was going to have to take a nitroglycerin. And Richard Meyer's books, Jawbreakers and Iron Sights are utterly enjoyable books and completely different, one from the other. You don't even realize that it's the same writer. Richard and Ethan are raking in money on their books. They are the standard by which all comic campaigns are compared. The men have people throwing their money at them because they want comics without SJW bullshit being shoved down their throats. It's amazing with the amount of money non-soy infused individuals makes at real jobs and is ready to be laid down on comic books that cost $25 for one book, but come with perks but only come out once to twice a year.

I have not bought a comic book from my comic book store since Tom King's Elmer Fudd vs Batman book, recommended by Meyers in a video. I will pick up fill in back issues for my collection, but I will not buy the new shit that they are calling comic books and at any other time would be How To Books for Psychosis.

Ethan's All Caps Comics is really earning with the comic books and soon, the toys and possibly a Cyberfrog video game. I'm first in line to buy the merch. My grandson loves Salamandroid. Like the meme says, Take My Money!

In a blog today, some blue haired harpy called Ethan a depraved individual. I don't know his personal like in that way. I can say, I've never seen depraved tendencies in him, but, you know, people can hide things. However, it's still none of my damned business. He doesn't harm me and I've never seen him harm another. So, in my book, and in what I know of him, my call is he is actually a very decent, high principled man.

When work was scarce, he offered many fellow artists work for his comic book campaigns. He gave them money when the people in their own industry weren't giving them crap and didn't care about how they were feeding their families. It's how he got Dan Fraga on board.

So, Yeah, E, you're a human sunbeam. I get it. You make me happy, make me laugh when I listen to you while I'm working. This is a long way from the alt.net boards we used to communicated on or the AOL private rooms. I cannot wait for the next thing.


No comments: