Buy Sev's Latest Book

Be sure to buy my latest e-book at Amazon! Dark Matters

Sunday, November 03, 2013

Anniversaries

Today my husband and I celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary. I will admit here, it's only because his parents reminded us when they called to invite us our for dinner last night.  I was hardly gracious about because I was at the tail end of a cold and wasn't sure I'd feel up to going out on the town.  But, I woke up feeling so much better and it was nice to have dinner with his parents, who I love as my own.

I will admit, it is nothing for either of us to forget our wedding anniversary.  He did the first anniversary (although our friends, Doug and Diane, may never forget our anniversary) and ever since then it's been a struggle to remember the exact date and any sort of celebration.  I know, thirteen years, it just seems like forever, right?  It really does.  As each year goes by it gets harder and harder to remember a time we were not together.  We both know we had a life before we met, but it gets harder and harder to remember.

I'm not a huge fan of celebrating natal days or anniversaries of any sort, but only because I am lazy and cannot be arsed to actually do anything for it. I just don't want to.  It's almost as if people expect the date to confer something up on them that it never does for anyone, and then they are always disappointed and it's always going to be the fault of everyone around them.  I just prefer to bow out of the drama.  If I think about it I might tell you happy birthday or whatever, but if you're waiting for a card or a gift you'd have better packed a lunch.

I'll admit, I really don't care.  No one but his parents and one of my kids told us happy anniversary or even noted it in any way.  I'm not upset. Lives are being lived and marking my birthday or anniversary really cannot be high up on anyone's list of things to think about. I certainly don't think my anniversaries are much for anyone but me to remember and since I choose not to, I don't get all butt sore if nobody else does.

I guess I'm too busy living my life to really think about things like that. And perhaps later in life I will regret that... I can be arsed to remember.

No comments: