Buy Sev's Latest Book

Be sure to buy my latest e-book at Amazon! Dark Matters

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Know Your Place

The past 3 weeks or so have been a fascinating glimpse into the way DC works. Watching Ted Cruz in the Senate has been like watching a Master Class in Politics 101. Before you start spouting what your betters have taught you, listen up.

We are supposed to be a classless society, and if Facebook and Twitter have done anything, they have showcased that.  We have the Permanent Political Class, read any incumbent, who has spent so much time in DC that they no longer remember where they come from.  When was the last time Nancy Legosi even stepped foot in California?  Last election cycle I saw her in DC brandishing Mjolnir like some crazed Valkyrie.  I will admit, I laughed a lot and nearly hurt myself laughing when she lost leadership.  But I'm silly that way.

But, I keep coming back to Cruz's non-filibuster filibuster.  I loved it.  I was so impressed with him.  I was proud he was from Texas and that I had voted him into office. So I sat back and watched.  I didn't watch Cruz.  Oh, I listened in here and there, but I watched the rest of the Senate, especially those within the GOP, Cruz's own party.  John McCain was such a mean old fart that it was high comedy.  Of everything that was said about Cruz, by his own party no less, the most shocking thing was the overarching theme of Cruz not knowing his place.

Evidently when one is elected to the Senate they are supposed to sit down and shut up until they have a few elections behind their belt and then they can take the floor to perhaps suggest doing something a little different than they have been done before. But then go sit and wait for a longer termed Senator to explain the ways of DC to him while they belly up to the bar during cocktail hour before trying to get some under-aged quim at a watering hole.  Hey, that's just how things are done in DC and if you're smart, you will do the exact same thing, because DC is nothing if it's not the most perfect little Hate Machine in the world.

Cruz broke the mold in so many ways.  He promised Texans that when he went to DC he would be doing their will as their duly elected representative.  So far the man has done exactly as he promised.  How many politicians do you know that have done that?  I can count them on one hand and still have enough fingers left over to hold my whiskey sour.  How many congress critters do we have? I can only find three that I consider to have kept their word to their constituents?  Two in Senate and one in the House?

And the ONLY mud they could sling at him was that he didn't know his place.  Perhaps the old guard don't know their place which is bloody obviously back in their home state selling shoes.  I wish we had more like Ted Cruz, Mike Lee and Trey Gowdy in the House. If wishes were horses beggars would ride.

I will continue to support Ted Cruz as long as he keeps up the work WE sent him there to do.  Too bad his senior Senator from Texas, John Cornyn still doesn't get it and is trying to play nice within the GOP.  He acts like he gets it but his voting records shows he doesn't.  Yeah, I think his place next year should be back home in Texas while we find another young firebrand to go and do our will in DC.

No comments: