Buy Sev's Latest Book

Be sure to buy my latest e-book at Amazon! Dark Matters

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Audeo!

A few months back I saw a news story while flipping through channels trying to avoid Keith Olbermann and/or Chrissy Tingles, about a man who owns a detective agency who hires almost predominantly soccer moms. He ticked off the fact that they can multitask, focus intensely while still thinking on multiple levels. In other words, the perfect managers or observers.

Ask any woman who is a mother about her schedule, her children's schedule, her husband's schedule and her boss' schedule, and she will be able to rattle them off, while concurrently explaining conflicts and how she's worked them out already. She can prioritize many things faster than a triage nurse in a war zone. Ask a mother of multiple children who works and it's nothing short of mind boggling how one person keeps all of that running in the back of their minds constantly without going insane.

And we're still expected to know where everybody else's stuff is 24/7.

Seeing this brought to mind several things that have been slowly percolating in the back of my brain for a few months. The fact that I know many women, around my age who are suddenly losing their minds, and how many women were winning primaries for different offices around the country, who are around my age.

Mid-Life crisis is defined as reaching the halfway point of life-expectancy and instead of looking ahead to the things you wish to achieve, you look back on all of the things you haven't done. This is especially true of folks who never really stepped outside the little box parental expectations put them in at birth. My kids see my wanting to buy and learn to ride a motorcycle as my mid-life crisis. I call it marking one more thing off my Bucket List. Puhtaytoh, puhtahtuh.

I see female friends of my acquaintance fooling around with younger men, in some cases 20 years younger. If I'm old enough that you know my son from Middle School, there is no way I'm looking at you as more than a kid. EVAR. Yes, the world is one Cougar down, ladies. I shan't partake of that buffet. I see them trying very hard to dress and act like their teen and college aged daughters. Jesus Christ, being a teen sucked, and now you do trying to be one again. You are NOT in competition with your own daughter. Suck it up and accept the fact that the real reason men don't want anything to do with you is YOU.

I don't get it, and I don't think I want to.

Now, for all of the women rushing into the political arena... take our awesome managerial/multitasking/scheduling captain talents and put that to work for the community around you and you have a pretty good combination. These women have kids, husbands, and in the most hopeful of cases, businesses of their own. They know how economics works. We know that we have to pay our mortgage and insurance first. We know that we cannot consume more than we produce. But, best of all, we know that if we're left alone, with no one micromanaging us, we can do a better job and leave others to do their jobs and in that way prosperity grows. We know that you can't get blood from a stone and that if you don't have the money to pay for something, you can't have it.

We also know a line of crap from a Y chromosome when we hear it. And we are tougher on double Xers than anyone else, because we know we are held to a higher standard.

So, for those of you who read the title to the blog and thought, "she spelled it wrong". I didn't. It's Latin, and it should be the rally cry of ever double Xer on the planet. I'm going to put it on my family crest... if I ever had one, I would, I mean... So I will make one up, that's the ticket.

No comments: