Buy Sev's Latest Book

Be sure to buy my latest e-book at Amazon! Dark Matters

Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Giggle Loop

You are surrounded by people for a moment of silence when the Giggle Loop begins... Suddenly out of nowhere this thought comes into your head: the worst thing I could possibly do during a minute's silence is laugh. And as soon as you think that you almost do laugh -- automatic reaction. But you don't, you control yourself, you're fine. Whew. But then you think how terrible it would have been if you laughed out loud in the middle of a minutes silence. And so you nearly do again, only this time it's a bigger laugh. And then you think how awful this bigger laugh would have been. And so you nearly laugh again, only this time it's a very big laugh, it is an enormous laugh. Let this bastard out, and you get whiplash. And suddenly you are in the middle of this completely silent room and your shoulders are going like you are drilling the road. And what do you think of this situation? Oh dear Christ! You think it's funny!

Thank you, Jeff. According to Jeff, you don't speak of the giggle loop, for to speak of the giggle loop is to be IN the giggle loop! God, I loved Coupling on the BBC. Between Jeff and Patrick, I don't know who made me laugh hardest.

However, if you think about the Giggle Loop when it's supposed to be a solemn time, such as a moment of silence, you inevitably want to laugh, and the more you try to stop yourself from laughing, the worse it gets.

Which brings me to how I feel about "Our Times".

People often ask me, as an Objectivist, how I feel about what's going on in the world today and I don't drag out the Sermon of Woe and how horrible it all is that the free market economy is non-existent and the progressive liberal crap we've allowed to take over our lives. I have to laugh.

I find it hilarious that one book that predicted this and is more accurate than anything Nostradomus ever wrote, is totally ignored by most. It's funny that the people who pick up the book now are finding it to be almost a freakin prophecy. It's a down right gut-splitter that the book was written in the middle of all of this progressive liberal twaddle and no one even tried to stop it but Ronald Reagan.

Yes, it's Giggle Loop Worthy.

Who said all Objectivists were stodgy? I'm laughing my ass off most days.

1 comment:

M.G. said...

I agree, it's absolutely hilarious that people are reading A.S. and freaking out. I read it first in the early 1990's, and when the election between Obama and Bush was decided, I announced to anyone who'd listen, "Welcome to the beginning of the end of the United States of America." I absolutely knew this was going to happen, because I'd read A.S. It's just too much.